My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Keep Stepping to the Other Side

We are all subject to ups and downs in our lives, no one is exempt! I also wouldn't trade any of those downs in my life because it was all worth it when I arrived at the other side. 

 Two years ago, I was entering my 8th year of teaching and having both successes and learning experiences!  I also  had a new coworker. She asked me, "How do I get to where you are now,  doing what  you do?" I advised her, "You just keep stepping. Keep going. And one day, you'll be on the other side. You'll just be doing it naturally." And a few months into the year she reported to me, "Hey, you were right! I'm doing it!" 

An example of "stepping to the other side" in my own life. Several years ago the man I was dating wanted to take advantage of me and hurt me. It was truly awful and the brain injury didn't help (enough said) but over time I learned to keep stepping and then I'd wake up and find myself closer to the other side. 

The final big step surprised me. For a few years, I'd kept the dress I wore that night. At the time it was intended as a positive reminder to me that I was strong, that I could do hard things, etc. However, one day I woke up and knew that aside from lessons learned; I no longer had any connection to the dress or that night. So, that night the dress was cut up into tiny pieces. And I welcomed the fact that I had kept stepping and come out on the other side.  

Whatever big or small challenge you may face; whether it just involves you or another person. Whether it was a "whoops" moment or you were hurt from another's poor choices. Truly, keep stepping. There is another side and it is glorious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment