My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Conversation Continued....

I had a few additional thoughts about the way I communicate, or how many/most individuals with a brain injury communicate.

-A need to say what is on your mind, even if it may not relate to the current conversation topic. When I have a spontaneous conversation topic, I try to remind myself to inform my conversation partner where that train of thought came from.

-A habit of saying what is on your mind at the first opportunity. This typically occurs when beginning a phone call. It can be tempting to skip the "how are you" part and just launch into the message, the purpose of why you called. I suppose that's why I'm a fan of texting-I can just give the message. The motivation for such communication is not trying to be rude or impatient, but someone with a brain injury has a very difficult time "putting thoughts aside." Rather, conversing or delivering a message can be like a goal to be accomplished.

-Sometimes endng a conversation can also be difficult because the ending is not always the same. Is it a long or a short phone call? Should you be the first one to hang up or not? How do you negotiate the social situation?
Thankfully conversation skills can be improved! Through trial and error, seeking feedback, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment