My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Social Struggles

Having social struggles is nothing new for me. As a child through a teenager, while most of my peers were excitedly awaiting recess and/or lunch break as a chance to see and visit with their friends, I dreaded it. Why? Because it meant a span of time when I would be in large social settings and I would need to find someone to eat with or else be alone. I could usually find someone eat with that I happened to know and wouldn't care if I sat by them. Unfortunately, this typically meant that they wouldn't care if I wasn't there, either.

My lunchtime troubles were elevated my junior year of high school when my family moved to a new country and continent. I don't know that words can adequately describe what it was like to be living so far from home for the first time and attending school in a foreign country. Yet I still managed to thrive in that environment by participating in extracurricular activities. This strategy may not work for everyone, adding one more thing to a schedule might be too overwhelming, but for me it really worked! It led to leadership opportunities, responsibilities during lunchtime and even if my peers and I were not friends outside of club activities it gave us a connection and let me feel like I belonged.

Post-high school I needed a new strategy. I needed support for how to negotiate social situations- what to say, how to react, etc. I asked my sister to become my "social coach" and even today we discuss, we role-play and she gives me feedback, at my request. Recently, I wanted to have dinner with my friends to celebrate my grad school graduation. But the first round of invites brought no results and I was sorely disappointed. With my sisters guidance, new invites were sent out, using a new medium of communication, and nine friends accepted! It was a very sweet moment to go from years of eating alone to have so many friends surrounding me and supporting me.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome blog! Thank you for sharing such personal things. I know it makes a difference to a lot of people. My sister has a deaf son and I'll be sure to forward your blog to her. I know disabilities are challenging but also a blessing in disguise sometimes. Congrats on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS- I'm so sorry about high school. I knew there were struggles, but I sometimes wish I had been more thoughtful, and perceptive of you and other people struggling. I wish I hadn't been thinking about me so much. You know, as an adult you see things so much differently and it's too bad we can't go back and relive some moments in time. You WERE brave and to endure such a trial must have been hard. I guess that's what makes you so amazing now.

    ReplyDelete