My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Dreams Come True- A Lesson in Gratitude

Dream #2- Being a Teacher



I don't know that I'd ever considered another profession other than teaching. Nothing else quite made as much sense to me even when I was young.



There was an interesting road that led up to my acceptance into the education program for my B.S. degree and subsequently to the student teaching semester. (More about that another time.) But finally the semester arrived. I had lots of nerves about student teaching but I also felt I'd had a successful pre-student teaching semester and there was a lot I was excited about. Especially having been a child with disabilities I wanted SO much to use my experiences to help other children.



About 2 weeks or so into the program I was informed that the program had "concerns" about me and didn't know if I could/would pass student teaching. This was a shock to my system and so began what felt like a living nightmare; trying to do the day-to-day requirements and at the same time trying to "save" my teaching career. It wasn't for lack of trying or necessarily lack of skill. But the brain injury was a factor. In a classroom of approx 25 students on my own it was very hard for me to stay focused and not get overwhelmed and "shut down." And there was only so much I could do to offset the consequences of the brain injury.



I rarely slept more than 5 hrs a night even with sleep aids and I was so distressed that I greeted each new day by throwing up. Lovely. 3 weeks later when I was informed that I was failing student teaching and it was reccomended that I leave the program; it was a relief to be done with student teaching!



However, while I was relieved to be done with teaching and I did have a back-up plan (I already had plans to teach English abroad for a year) there was still a feeling like the bottom had fallen out from under me, like my promise for the future was gone. I would still get my BS degree but no teaching licensce, which is crucial to get a good teaching job!



When I think about a lesson from this experience, what comes to mind foremost is gratitude. Despite a huge bump in the road I still had much to be grateful for! Even if I didnt' fully know it at the time! I now had more time during my last semester at school. I had more time to spend with my Grandma and finish writing her life history. (Coincidentally she passed away while I was teaching abroad). I had more time to spend with my family and friends. Throughout the whole semester, my rommmates were fantastic, consistently supporting me with and without my asking. My previous campus job took me back immediately so I had something to occupy my time and wasn't financially distressed. I was free from the stress of student teaching!



Bumps in the road are inevitable. Bumps can be really painful! But I have found that being grateful while negotiating the bumps helps make the ride a little smoother and it helps you create good memories during an otherwise undesirable time you would not have chosen.



Today I do enjoy a teaching license and an enjoyable and successful teaching job. But before I could get to that point, I was let go from another teaching position, and then it nearly happened again. I wanted to quit many, many times and at times life seemed so unfair. But it's all good now! Stay tuned for how it got to this point......

1 comment: