My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

To Fear- or Not to Fear???

In preparing these blog posts, I often go back through past journal entries and e-mails. In this case, I came upon a conversation I had with the day after I had lost my job. At this point, I was halfway through to getting my teaching license. But I thought that if I had lost a teaching job again, maybe it would be best if I just called it quits! Anyway, the recounting as follows:

"Today I was talking with "Elizabeth" and I told her that I was thinking of quitting the licensure program. She asked, 'WHY- when you are already halfway through?!?!' The only reason I could give her was 'Because I'm scared' And is fear really a good enough reason???" (Thanks, Elizabeth for such a simple, yet clear question!)

Goals and dreams are not identical for anyone who has sustained a brain injury,or for people in general. And that's a good thing. If we all had similar circumstances and dreams life would be a lot more dull! But I believe the idea "is fear really a good enough reason?" Can be applied to all in a variety of situations. Besides, who wants to live with the thought of "what if, what if I had tried?"

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment