My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Learn by Doing, Not Just by Observing

Recently I had an overnight trip with friends to a relative's cabin. For breakfast the next morning, we made french toast and I shared the following story. It's good for a laugh, but also, I believe a classic example of "how to" teach/guide a child who has sustained a brain injury.

Until I was 18, I did not know that french toast came from bread! I don't know exactly what I thought, I guess in my mind once the batter hit the frying pan, it magically became the same size and thickness as a slice of bread!

One Saturday morning, my Dad thought it would be a good idea if I made the French Toast and give my mom a break. I agreed walked up to the counter and stared at the batter, bread and fying pan. I kept staring until my Mom whispered to my Dad, "I don't think she knows how to do it!"

Truly, I didn't know what to do! And this why. While I had "observed" the making of french toast on, I'm sure multiple occasions, I had never actually done it. Because I had only watched and not interacted, the skill set had not sunk in. With any child, but especially a child with a brain injury, skills need to be taught. When the brain is injured, it does not make automatically make the connections, send the signals to the child that say," This is a time to learn how to do this. Watch what happens. Watch what this person is doing and try to remember."

So, next time you are working with, caring for a child with a brain injury (or really any child in general) and their skills seem "off" ask yourself if you have taught them, if they have done it, been hands on with it. Or if they have only observed. You'll be amazed at the difference!

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog, it's very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the time I asked my mom how to do some simple kitchen task (boiling something, I think), and she said, "I failed!"

    Yeah... well... sometimes there are things you just miss. Especially if you're the youngest in the family (I am) and everyone does everything for you!

    ReplyDelete