My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Questions and Answers

Here's a sampling of questions I have been asked over the years regarding my brain injury....



Why were you not diagnosed until you 21?

As has been previously mentioned, the brain injury occurred between 0-2 years of age, the diagnosis not until age 21. There are two main reasons for that (1)Brain injury/special education was not as recognized/respected as it is today. My Mom took me to the dr many times between 0-5 yrs but there was always an explanation for my behavior. I was the baby of the family, I was just shy, I would catch up, etc. (2) I didn't want "help" My parents got me involved in resource classes, math tutors, speech therapy, etc. but I fought all of it. I already struggled socially and didn't want to feel "different" any more than I already did and I didn't want to be "fixed". When I did finally find a dr and treatment center (Dr Nilsson at the Neurodevelopment Center) I felt ready because I was older and more mature but also because I felt the focus was on the "Claire the person" and not on "fixing Claire."



What was your reaction to the diagnosis?

My initial reaction was RELIEF!!! I had been carrying around a LOT of guilt for many years. Since I didn't know the "logic" for my behavior, I assumed that if I just tried harder I wouldn't have challenges and so the challenges were mainly because I just wasn't trying hard enough. Not true. My 2nd thought was that if I had made it 21 years with this challenge, I wanted to use my experiences to help other people- the main reason why I pursued special education.



Do you wish you had been diagnosed sooner?

Honestly, yes. Particularly regarding high school and beginning college experiences I wish I had known more then about how to get along in social setting and just developing basic life skills. BUT because I didn't know I had challenges, I thought I could do anything! And the good things that have happened because of it far outweigh "what might have been" So I don't dwell on it, I just try to celebrate what I do know.



What has been the most challenging and the most helpful?

The most challenging has been dealing with "neurogenic irritability"- having difficulty controlling my emotions at times, having a lower threshold for stress and anxiety, and ultimately the ways that these have effected my life. The most helpful medically wise has been sessions of Neurofeedback that have retrained my brain waves and ultimately helped to function more smoothly. The biggest help emotionally/people wise: People who genuinely have listened to me when I share my challenges and triumphs and tried to understand the "logic" of my behavior.



If there are any more questions you would like to ask me- please feel free to leave them in the comments section! Your feedback helps to improve the blog. Thanks!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment