My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Laughing at Myself

Recently I relearned the importance of being able to laugh at oneself. I am by no means an expert at this- I have habits of getting embarrassed to easily and then holdig on to it longer than is necessary. BUT the times when I can laugh at myself, I feel more spring in my step, I smile more because I have something funny to laugh about and it gives me new eyes/perspective for a situation.

As an example of something to laugh about it, here is one of recent "adventures"..... Enjoy a good laugh at my expense, I don't mind!!!

THIS is Why I don't make Jello
I have made jello approximately 3 times in the past 10 years. So when I recently signed up to bring a jello salad to a church function, I tried to seek out info from more experienced jello makers. But I couldn't reach my Mom or sisters to ask for advice. I had to go it alone.

All went pretty well until the 2 minute boiling period when the ruby red liquid spilled onto the burner and stovetop. (My mom told me later that she doesn't let it keep boiling, she just takes it off the stove and stirs. And well..... now I know....) However the boiling water/jello mix caused smoke which caused the smoke alarm to go off for the first time. Yes, the first time.

I did get the jello poured in the dripper pan but not without spilling more on the white countertops. I put in the fridge and busied myself with other tasks when the fire alarm went off. Again. I thought, "What the.....?" Then I turned around and saw 4-5 inch flames shooting from the stovetop burner.
I had forgotten to turn off the burner so the spilled liquid had dried in lumps and were now flaming. Nice. I poured baking soda and put out the fire. (Turns out baking soda really does work to put out a fire!) Opened doors, windows and turned on fans. Still have not cleaned off the burner because of the intense mess that I made. Maybe if I stall long enough it'll clean itself???

Was this my finest hour? Not necessarily, but it has quickly become a favorite story about myself because as embarrassing as it may be, WHO makes jello and consecutively starts a fire??? So even though laughing at yourself may not come naturally, do it anyway. It pays off!!!
What recent life adventures can YOU find to laugh about?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Claire!!! It reminds me of a quote a friend just posted on her Facebook page. "Strong people make as many mistakes as weak people. Difference is that strong people admit their mistakes, laugh at them, and learn from them." Richard Needham The world would be a better place if more people had your attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious! i myself have always been horrible at Jello, and only recently have I had success at making it. Thanks for sharing, that was a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete