My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Recognize and Celebrate Your Strengths

Today I have been thinking about the importance of recognizing and celebrating your strengths. Especially those that may seem smaller, less significant, etc. It's all about what you CAN do.
The same adage is true for me, as well! As an example and to perhaps get you thinking, here are some "small strengths" I have learned about myself.......

-I make really good Rice Krispie treats. (Seriously, I do. They even earned a chunk of money at a silent auction once.....) They may be simple, easy, traditional, etc but the point is that I CAN make them well. Celebrating this means I can make something that I like, that turns out and that I can then share with those I know and love

-My memory. It does not apply to directions, tests, etc but it does apply to people. I am fortunate to remember details about people-names of their siblings, trips they've been on, favorite foods, etc. This allows to engage in conversations with people about things impt to them, indicates to them that I am interested in their life.

-Playing with children/teaching moments: behavior mgt is NOT my strength as a teacher. But one thing I can do well is have teaching moments with children. During lunch time we can discuss shape, color, texutre, etc of the food. If they are building with blocks, I am able to ask open-ended questions that further more discussion, rather than just "yes" or "no"

What are some strengths you have discovered about yourself????

No comments:

Post a Comment