My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Triggers and Signals

Lately I have been thinking about "triggers and signals." For example, example what tends "trigger" my anxiety and the "signals" of how I know it likely my anxiety causing problems, not something else..... Obviously, each case is going to be different but here are some examples of how it has happened in my own life......

I recall once being in church and suddenly feeling so mad and anxious about going to a family dinner later that day. I was mad that I didn't have a car, why did I need to go with my parents, etc. All valid points but as I backtraced my thoughts they really had little to do with the source of my tension. Rather, it was that there were some tough situations at work, I didn't want my parents to worry, I didnt' want to talk about it with them, but I was so worried that the topic would come up on the 15 drive to the family dinner. But as I worried more on that topic, it led to being mad about not having a car, mad about driving somewhere with my parents, etc.

So when I'm able to recognize that my thoughts, anxiety, has taken a major leap, I know I need to stop, think and realize what the real problem is.

Another is how I communicate and my impulses. When I am communicating via phone, text or e-mail more than is typical during the day(s) it's usually a sign of anxiety. My impulse to contain my thoughts, wait on them, etc. is much lower. It's also much harder to control my impulses with eating.

In order to recognize your own signals and triggers, first you have to be aware behaviors and attititudes are more typical, the norm for you. I find that it helps to have a "routine" so it's easier to assess when the routine is off. I also will write down my feelings, how I felt, when, why, so that I become more familiar with them over time and they become easier to recognize.

What signals and triggers have you recognized in your own life? And how did you come to recognize them?

No comments:

Post a Comment