My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Needing/Getting a Break

For me, one of the effects of living with a brain injury is that I am more easily overwhelmed and overstimulated. As such I like to, need to take breaks. (the rationale for taking breaks varies) More importantly, I like to know "when" the break is coming. Sometimes I get anxious if I don't when there will be a "break," an "out," etc.

The situations vary. For example, in the middle of the workday, I can excuse myself to get a drink, a bathroom break, but I can't just say, "I'm done now,"and leave my assistant and students to fend for themselves. I understand that those kind of situations are just part of life! And I need to adapt to it the best I can.

But there are times when a break is an option, and I have learned some strategies that have made that break transition easier. I'll use the example of spending the holidays at home with my parents (their home, not mine). Since it is a break from my work, my main goal tends to be relaxation. Sleep in, read, chill, watch tv, etc. However, sometimes my Mom (or my Dad) needs my help with things around the house or other to-do holiday tasks. And that's OK! I like to help. But I also like to know about breaks, what the schedule for the day will roughly look like.

And so, I ask. I ask my Mom what she thinks she might need my help with that day and when she thinks she might need it. I tell her the things I want to get done that day and so we can work it out for both of us. I'm more relaxed, I feel like I know more about what I am getting into and I know what I have to look forward to. I also know that it's less likely that I will have just fallen asleep and suddenly something else comes up.

Again, this does not apply to all scenarios in life. But I have found that when there is some flexibility, asking can go a long way!

Your thoughts????

2 comments:

  1. It is really important for me to communicate with people. To give them my perspective and to hear their perspective. It helps to avoid a lot of conflict. When people understand that we all react / respond differently to situations it helps foster a better relationship. To many times, different is interpreted as wrong. Your blog helps people to understand that difference. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading this blog... I relate to a lot of the things you say! (Maybe I have an undiagnosed brain injury???) I get overwhelmed easily, too... and I jam-pack my week with all sorts of things, work and play. I think if I knew when the breaks were (and make plans for them!!) I would cope a lot better. You've encouraged me.

    ReplyDelete