My Story of Living With a Brain Injury

I am young adult living with the trials and triumphs as a result of a brain injury. This is my story.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Care About Claire Day

Recently I had another "really bad day" Thankfully, this time my emotions didn't spill over onto other but I was truly hurting inside! Just too many emotional events at once! I had support from family and friends, though.

Still working through it the next day, Sunday, I decided to give myself a "Care About Claire Day." This is something I do truly for myself on occassion. I call it by a different name, using my real name, but the idea is the same. I have one goal: only do things that I truly "want" to do. Granted, it's not fool-proof, stuff may come up that needs to be done, but I try to stick to the goal of doing things I want to do.

And this time, I created another goal, to "love myself as much as possible." Rather than be hard on myself to get over it, compare myself, etc. I chose to love myself because I knew I was hurting. Loving myself made a huge difference!

You will want to make your "care day" your own but here is a sampling of activities that I have enjoyed on my various "care days": bake cookies, go for a walk, read a good book, clean/organize, go shopping, try a new recipe, watch a movie, chat with a good friend, nap, long hot shower, play with my nieces and nephews.

And if you may be thinking, "Nice idea, but there's no way I could take that kind of time for myself." Carve out what time you can spare for yourself without adding extra stress. If you could create more time by having someone help you, don't be afraid to ask for that help! People understand.

Happy "Care About Claire Day" and I hope you enjoy celebrating your own "Care Day" It's a Holiday I HIGHLY reccommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment